Friday, February 5, 2010

The Adventures of 2 Yankis Part I

So I've been meaning to blog much much more since I've been, especially with having so much free time (therefore, this one may be a bit lengthy, please bare with me). But it's actually been filled with a lot of (what I believe is) useful activities, like figuring out how to go grocery shopping, walking 5 miles around the city for a few hours, figuring out how to take out/change money, and just meeting/talking to people. One of the reasons I chose the program in Córdoba, which I'm really beginning to appreciate, is that is seemed very independent and culturally immersing. For example, because I'm here a month early, I have no one (i.e. from my school) taking me by the hand and showing me how one goes about doing simple day to day tasks here. I really have to figure it our for myself, and at times it can be a bit challenging and make me wish I had a manual on how to do it all, or at least a chaperone with all the logistics. But it also is good for me because I know that if I ever want to live abroad in the future in a country in which I have no connections, it will be a fend for yourself kind of a deal. But it's definitely nice having my friend from USF, Patrick, with me down here because at least there's some solidarity. So a little tidbit of info relating to the title of this blog: not only am I a gringo (a white person usually from the U.S./Europe), but I'm also a yanki (yankee, but pronounced 'junkie'). Soccer is definitely very popular (an understatement) because people are always wearing team jerseys, holding a soccer ball, or watching it at restaurants and bars. Because it's summer here and about 80 degrees during the day and 70 at night, people sit outside restaurants on the sidewalks and share a beer and just hang out. And I thought San Francisco was laid back. It's so nice that people sit for a while and enjoy each other's company instead of rushing around trying to make every appointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment