Friday, February 5, 2010

The Adventures of 2 Yankis Part II

They also grocery shop more on a daily basis than a weekly one. This is great because I feel that whenever I stock up on groceries I waste money by overthinking what I actually need for the week, and it also saves a lot of worrying about what I'm going to eat 7 days from now. Why stress over food, right? Speaking of food, they do not have peanut butter here anywhere. I mean I like peanut butter but I'm not a worshipper of George Washington Carver (cough cough LAINA cough cough). However, my friend Patrick is a little upset by the fact and is having our friend Karina transport a fresh supply when she comes in 3 weeks. So just a warning to those of you who want to visit here, spare room in your suitcase for the tasty spread or just get ready to deal with the loss of the 'PB' in 'PB & J'. My teacher told us that there's a store somewhere that sells imported goods if you really have a hankering for it. Okay moving on. I've only been here for a week and I feel like my worldview is beginning to be dismantled, only to be built back up again by having the experience of living here. I've learned so much about different parts of the world, especially having a roommate from Germany and one from France. It's also interesting to see other people's views of the U.S. A lot of the time, I share the same sentiments, and makes me a little "unproud" of some of things that we've done/are doing. To be honest, it's hard to tell people here that I'm from the U.S. without feeling some sense of guilt. It's also interesting because in the U.S., we say that our country is "America," but Latin Americans also say that they're from America, which is totally true. Just some food for thought. But at the same it's also made me aware of how important culture is, and as embarrassing as Americans can be, I value being able to have some sense of belonging to my culture. Que mas? Que mas? Patrick has cucarachas (cockroaches) in his apartment and we're having a contest to see who can kill the most. So far I'm in the lead with 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment